What to do with your cat during Fireworks season
Have you ever noticed that this time of year your cat becomes stressed in the evenings? Do you wonder why they may hide away during these cold winter nights? Chances are, it is because they are scared of firework displays. With Bonfire night, Christmas, and New Year’s Eve approaching, there are likely to be many fireworks, which may be very unsettling for your cat.
Because cats having such amazing and acute hearing, they tend to get scared of loud noises which may lead to high levels of stress. It’s not too different from humans, when we hear an extremely loud an unpleasant noise, we look for comfort and reassurance. However, there are common signs to look out for in your cat, especially during this time, in order to be aware of any changing stress levels.
Commonly when a cat is stressed, they may do some of the following:
- Groom themselves more than usual
- Go to the toilet outside of their Litter Box
- Showing signs of restlessness
- Hiding away in unusual places
- Sleeping more than usual
- Excessive meowing
- Change in personality (such as being more aggressive or lethargic than usual)
So, the next question is, how can you look after your cat in order to make sure that they do not become too stressed. We have put together a list of the best way to calm your cat down:
- Make sure your cat does not go outside after dark.
- Put on some white noise which will distract them, such as the Tv or Radio.
- Create a cosy space for your cat to relax. Perhaps in a sheltered and high up space where your cat can feel safe.
- Allow your cat to have their own space, but attempt to play with them if they would like to.
- Buying them a new toy can increase your cat’s excitement, and distract them from the loud noises outside.
- Scented diffusers can spray a comforting scent which is supposedly very calming for cats
- Cat clothing: this has been said to calm them down as it makes them warmer and therefore acts as a comfort if they are feeling stressed.
- Use a calming voice to speak and comfort your cat
- Ensure you have a cat tracker such as Tabcat, so if your cat does run off in a fright, you will easily and safely be able to locate.
By following these tips over the next few months, you will ensure to have a stronger relationship with your cat, and a deeper understanding of their personality now and throughout the year.Back to blog Buy now